Triton Digital has released its monthly Top 20 Ranker for September. The ranker is a listing of the top-performing digital audio stations and networks measured by the Webcast Metrics audience measurement platform, accredited by the Media Rating Council. Total listening for clients measured in September showed 4.2 million Average Active Sessions weekdays from 6am-8pm, and 3.6 million AAS during Monday-Sunday 6am-midnight.
Key findings from the September 2015 Ranker include:
- During the first nine months of 2015, Millennial listening far outpaced listening of other generations. Millennials have accounted for 60.7 percent of all listening, followed by Generation X (28.3 percent) and Baby Boomers (10.0 percent). The two groups with the most online listening are ages 20-29 (36.8 percent) and 30-39 (26.5 percent).
- The Sports format showed the largest listening gains with an 18.0 percent increase in AAS, followed by Urban Contemporary, Classical, Modern Adult Contemporary, and Top 40 (CHR) (M-F 6A-8P, September 2015 vs. August 2015). The Sports format received a slight boost with the return of the NFL this month.
- Looking at the top 20 markets, Boston showed the largest listening gain with a 12.8 percent increase in AAS, followed by Philadelphia (7.2 percent), Miami (7.2 percent), Seattle (6.6 percent), New York (4.3 percent), and Chicago (2.8 percent).
- 37 percent of listening took place on an iOS device, followed by Android at 31 percent, and Google Chrome and Flash at 9 percent. (M-F 6A-8P)
- Mobile listening represented 73.6 percent of total listening in September 2015, compared to 26.4 percent on desktop.
Here’s Top 20 for September, 2015:
- Pandora Corporate
- Spotify Corporate
- CBS Radio Inc.
- Cumulus Streaming Network
- Slacker Inc.
- NPR Member Stations
- ESPN Radio
- EMF Corporate
- idobi Radio
- Greater Media Corporate
- Townsquare Media
- Salem Communications
- Hubbard Broadcasting
- Emmis Communications
- New York Public Radio
- Bonneville Corporate