Doug McIntyre Says Goodnight to Red Eye Radio

It’s not often when you see a programming merger like this one, especially for two syndicated radio overnight shows. Cumulus Media Networks  “Midnight Radio” hosts Gary McNamara and Eric Harley will take over the name and affiliate stations from “Red Eye Radio” host and originator Doug McIntyre beginning January 3rd.  “The Midnight Radio Network”, owned and distributed by Dial Global, traces its roots back to the Midnight Cowboy Trucking Show which started at WBAP Dallas in 1969. Combining the rosters of the two shows will bring the number of affiliates to over 150 and give Cumulus Media Networks a stronger overnight alternative to  Premiere Radio Networks “Coast to Coast AM.”

Cumulus SVP of affiliate sales and broadcast operations Dennis Green said, “Adding Eric and Gary to our versatile lineup of talk programming is a fantastic opportunity for the network and provides two dynamic personalities to our affiliates.  This another day part where we can offer high-quality solutions to stations looking for relevant content that connects with local audiences. We truly appreciate the road map Doug has created for delivering overnight listener engagement with ‘Red Eye Radio’ and we’re proud that he will continue to be part of our company.”

Although it’s not yet clear in what capacity McIntyre will be in with Cumulus, he continues to host the 5:00 am to 6:00 am hour on WABC, New York.

*UPDATE* Rumors that McIntyre would move back to host morning drive on KABC-AM  Los Angeles- a position he held from 2004 to 2009- has been confirmed.  In a release, Cumulus says, “The show will feature McIntyre’s unique sense of humor and ability to get to the heart of the biggest stories affecting Los Angeles and Orange County.”  McIntyre says, “I’m excited to return to the morning drive with leading radio station, KABC.  I look forward to keeping my audience informed and entertained as they wake up with me each morning.”

9 thoughts on “Doug McIntyre Says Goodnight to Red Eye Radio

• August 11, 2013 at 10:14 am

I agree wholeheartedly with the others…. Doug has been a real loss for late night intelligent listeners!!! Miss him so much… Hope to find him on another show soon! The others are loud and boisterous…

• December 13, 2012 at 1:36 am

I have tried, truly, to listen to Eric and Gary. It is like listening to an manic in overdrive, I get tired of the loud, over the top hyena laughter, the over-enunciation of words and the constant “me me me me I I I’ out of them. Many times I sit wondering why they evne HAVE a radio show; all they do is talk to each other or Gary (or is it Eric?) is off on one of his self centered manic rants. It is tedious and gets on my nerves. They talk AT people, not with them. And yes, it’s politics non stop. Frankly, I am not out here driving a truck listening to the radio for company to hear the same stuff I hear all day from Hannity, Limbaugh, Levin. So much ‘fun’ and topics out there without these two and their grating, campy voices. Seriously, you can do better!

• October 28, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I leave a response whenever I especially enjoy a article on a website or I have something to valuable to contribute to the
    conversation. Usually it’s a result of the passion communicated in the article I browsed. And on this post Syndicated Radio Network Combines Shows, Switches Hosts | Radio Syndication Talk. I was actually moved enough to post a thought 😉 I actually do have 2 questions for you if it’s allright.
    Could it be simply me or does it give the impression like some of the remarks look like written by brain dead visitors?

😛 And, if you are writing at other social sites, I would like to follow everything new you have to post.

Could you make a list the complete urls of all your social sites like your twitter feed, Facebook
    page or linkedin profile?

• January 30, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Huge mistake taking Doug off the air. It might have been something he wanted to do as far as schedule goes. But they should have replaced him with someone with a similar view or set up. Germaine would have been much better than these two right wing guys they have on now. There is no balance or thinking with these two guys, just these same right wing radio stuff. With Doug you felt like you were able to see both sides points and then make your own decision. I’m back to the alien show….

• January 3, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Mark Germain can’t hold a candle to Doug McIntyre. In fact, IMHO nobody can.
    You can always tell someone that is a voracious reader.
    They usually have great stories to tell and something interesting to say.
    Doug’s IQ level is way above most other talk show hosts.
    I’m sick of big broadcasting companies changing lineups in an arbitrary and capricious manner.
    I think I’ll get on board the future of radio and head on over to HD Radio and Satellite Radio.
    Hopefully, I can find something more interesting than two ex-truckers shootin’ the breeze.

• December 26, 2011 at 12:03 am

What I really want to know is who owned the title, Red Eye Radio. Doug started this show many years ago before he was on KABC, working for Citidel. Now curious Cumulus buys up stations from Citidel. Did they buy the name of the show too. I thought it belonged to Doug.

Oh, well, these two “truckers” won’t be on long. I have tuned in several times and all they do is talk to each other about politics. I have never heard them take a call. And no beautiful bumper music!!!! Do they really think New Yorkers will buy this drivel. But hey, I learned all about the new federal rules covering how many hours truckers can work and how much time off they have to take–so all is not lost.

I know Doug is going back to KABC and I will lissten to his podcasts at night instead of Dead Red Eye. I was hoping that Doug would find another station to take his Red Eye to but I guess not.

• December 22, 2011 at 5:41 am

I get very tired of Germain’s “better than most. . .” comment. It is bad radio and irritating.

• December 16, 2011 at 10:18 am

It won’t be the first or last time network programmers made big mistakes!
    The mistake is taking Doug off red eye national. He and Mark Germain have
    carved a niche that will be hard to top. As a matter of fact…Mark could
    even do the show all week and be a success…since both Mark and Doug
    are even stephen to the audience.
    The moral…when you grow a network…you don’t jump over the fence where
    the grass appears to be greener for a few more stations.
    Somebody ought to have second thoughts on the subject. It’s like wearing
    a suit of clothes…when the suit becomes wrinkled…you don’t throw it
    away…you take it to the cleaners!

• December 7, 2011 at 4:38 pm

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!