Smooth Jazz Rides “The L” In Chicago

Following WNUA-FM ‘s flip to Spanish AC, Broadcast Architecture’s Smooth Jazz Network has relocated to WLFM-FM (87.7 The L) in Chicago.  Veteran Chicago radio executive Patrick Kelley, who will oversee “The L,” serving as Senior VP/Market Manager said, “The L” plans on reinstituting what it calls “that cutting-edge community-responsive approach to Smooth Jazz in Chicago.”  “We are going to deliver to Chicago a hipper, cooler, Smooth Jazz station. We are very excited to build this station around the passion Chicagoans have for contemporary jazz.” He added, “One of our main goals is to create a station that has a very strong Chicago identity. We want our listeners to be comfortable riding the ‘L’ all day and all night long from the first position on the dial. We’re launching a radio station that represents the best of what Chicago radio listeners have heard for the past 22 years.”  Chicago native and jazz artist Brian Culbertson will handle mornings at “The L.”

9 thoughts on “Smooth Jazz Rides “The L” In Chicago

• September 10, 2009 at 4:04 pm

Somedays I can get the station in, and then other days, no way. At home I cannot receive the signal at
    all. Is the signal going to get a boost anytime soon? I need my Smooth Jazz!

• September 2, 2009 at 7:42 pm

Where is the music? I turned on the radio to listeti smooth jazz on 87.7 this A.M.,but did not hear a note! Please do not tell me it,too,is going Spanish!!!!

• June 18, 2009 at 1:58 pm

I sent WLFM a e-mail telling them their signal was too weak. They responded that it would be significantly improved starting June 12. Well, June 12 came and went and the signal is still just as weak. Go figure.

• June 7, 2009 at 4:00 pm

I will be tuning in to the L (87.7) to follow the Smooth Jazz. I have to agree with Frank’s post of June 2, 2009 the signal is hard to receive in Naperville/Plainfield area. Any plans to increase the wattage to take advantage of the Smooth Jazz audience area wide.

• June 2, 2009 at 12:51 pm

87.7 The L is a good format, however, the wattage output does not cary very well once outside of the city. Our car receivers have no problem, but the receivers located on the first floor of our two story house can not receive the signal. Any changes planned to increase their coverage?

• May 29, 2009 at 9:08 pm

If they are running the “Smooth Jazz Network” from Los Angeles based (and Clear Channel) owned, Broadcast Architecture isn;t it just the same personalities and playlist they are supllying to other “Smmoth Jazz” stations across the country? How does that make it uniquely Chicago?

• May 27, 2009 at 3:15 am

The signal seems to be too weak to work on some radios. Can you boost the output?

• May 26, 2009 at 7:17 pm

I was out of town and tuned into WNUA and was shocked to here Spanish music. I later learned about the loss of NUA and have been rather upset. I happy to hear that a new venue “L” is up and running, I will definitely tune in and wish all on the new station well. Special thanks for keeping up this excellent style of music
    Barb

• May 25, 2009 at 12:40 am

Quote:”We are very excited to build this station around the passion Chicagoans have for contemporary jazz. Hipper, Cooler Jazz…”

Oh yeah? we’ll see…..Just don’t follow Clear Channel’s example.