Sharpton and Ballentine Cut in Atlanta

*UPDATE* Arbitron’s Portable People Meter methodology is the villain in a petition put together by the Atlanta listeners of Warren Ballentine and Al Sharpton who have been cut at WAMJ-FM. The petition charges that the number of participants in the PPM panel was not representative of the target audience of the two shows and led to the decision to drop the hosts. It also showed a little research on the subject. Here’s the petition. Syndication One talkers Al Sharpton and Warren Ballentine are out as part of  Radio One’s WAMJ “Grown Folks Radio” ( now “Magic 107.5 R&B Hits from the 80s, 90’s and Now”) move up the dial from 102.5 to 107.5. Premiere’s Steve Harvey and ABC’s Micheal Baisden anchor the new music driven format which is seen as more PPM friendly, in spite of the success of the music/talk hybrid. There are other dominoes falling as a result of this; Gospel Praise 97.5 has already moved to 102.5 and there is talk of a simulcast of Magic on the 97.5 frequency. So where does this leave Sharpton and Ballentine who have demonstrated that the music talk fusion does work in a market with the makeup of Atlanta?

43 thoughts on “Sharpton and Ballentine Cut in Atlanta

• January 18, 2011 at 12:28 am

Well the only reason I even listened to the radio in Atlanta was for Mr Ballentine. Since I am unable to find him, I stopped listening (except public radio (listener supported)). So I laugh when you know who wants a vote to keep “black” radio on the air. I say WHY keep it on, IF the only thing on the radio is a bunch of garbage (with garbage music, and garbage radio personalities). So kill so call “black” radio. I have the internet for my real Soul and R&B music (and real hip-hop where the people know how to rap). So I can keep up with the times of my people and and “friends” of my people. Shame on who ever made that decision to pull them. No one I know was polled…and if revenue is down pick better commercials. Now I hear none, none, NONE of the commercials, ’cause I dont listen to the radio anymore. There are enough radio stations in the Atl for the stupid and those the do not want to be informed, but none on FM (except public radio) for those that want to be educated. So I say the #@!! with “black” radio It’s not “BLACK” anymore!!!

• July 12, 2009 at 9:15 am

Eddie,

That child is yours, not the step-dads. There are everyday needs of the child. EVERYDAY!!!!!! I would suggest that you file for joint custody of your child so that you can have him for part of the year and see what it costs on a regular to raise a child today. How do you know that the money is not being spent on your son?

Also, you need to look up Rev. Al’s website directly. This forum is actually a protest for Radio One to not cut Rev. Sharpton and Warren Ballentine from their daytime station. You can now hear them both on 1380 am between 10am and 3pm daily.

I am all for fathers that file for joint custody….and you can do this anytime. To feed, clothe and shelter a child costs, my brother. And believe me, no matter how much child support you are sending your ex wife or girlfried, it can never be enough because raising a child is EXPENSIVE….nor can it be a substitute for you not being in his life daily. Good luck with your filing officially for joint custody.

• July 12, 2009 at 1:00 am

Hello Rev. Sharpton,
    I would like to know what I need to do, to become an advocate for those of us who pays child support, and how it is being spent on other things than the children. I am in a situation where my son, which is in Texas is now living with his step-dad, and I am still paying child support to the mother. My point is; child support should be set up as a trust fund to be used, as a child has a rising need. I am all for child support, but I would like to see it used for the purpose, and not for the benefit of the parent (s) in question to use for their own needs. If you can help me in this please contact me at E_Goodly@yahoo.com. I am ready to be an advocate for all who are stuck with dealing with this, so please help me with as much information as possible.

• June 23, 2009 at 11:50 pm

wow the misinformation givin out about this is terrible, but then again does anything shock you that radio one does? Madison Ave says warren, al aren’t making money radio one says ok, radio one is lossing money because they refuse to challenge a system that they continue to play in,that is why they tell you hrh 848 will put them out of business, but it’s the business they refuse to challege that will do it for them. Has ayone bought into the warren, sharpton save black radio aka radio one campaign yet?

• May 12, 2009 at 8:55 pm

A poster wrote earlier “What are intelligent people supposed to listen to”. The key word is intelligent they are afraid of your intelligence, and want to keep pushing butt shaking beats and comedy radio all day long. The only power the powers that be still hold is Economic power. As long as we have to beg for jobs in and out of our neighborhoods we are at their mercy, but when we start to own major business/hire and do for ourselves then we can reach for the stars ! I am proud of the posters on here that proves some of us are awake.

• May 8, 2009 at 4:57 am

Warren and Rev Al are back in Atlanta!!!!! 1380 AM WAOK. Ladies and Gentlemen out there in readersland/cyberspace, I was driving my car and had just pressed the scan station button haphazardly and my man was on!!!! I said he was on!!!!!!! I turned into the nearest driveway, put the car in park, stepped out the car, and cut the tar. Yeah Lordy!!!! Won’t He do it? Won’t He do it? Hay, Hay, Hay. We don’t need Radio One. Ha-Ha. The people spoke and we were heard. Thank ya, Father, for allowing us to pick from the Tree of Knowledge once again.
    2410. Arne Davis

• April 27, 2009 at 2:06 pm

Rev. Al Sharpton and Mr. Ballentine are officially on 1380 WAOK am in atlanta starting Wed. April 29th,2009 so listen up once again.

• April 18, 2009 at 6:26 pm

Sharpton and Ballentine shows are needed. Our people need to go thru a thought reformation and reeducation. Any efforts aimed at instilling good and valuable attitudes and beliefs in our person are a welcome change.
    We need Ballentine and Sharpton’s talk show to help affect an individual’s value system.

• April 17, 2009 at 8:48 pm

i guess this is the “powers that be” showing us there ass again. now do you believe that racism still exist? we need to stop buying all these big houses and cars and all that other bullshit and get our own stations and other things so we can do what we want! cathy hughes, come on now, we’re gonna need you to do better than this. keep diggin peoples.

• April 15, 2009 at 8:46 pm

too many people were begining to wake up and apply their intelligence to deal with issues that concern the african american community, so under threat warren ballentine and rev al sharpton were pulled of so the we could be subjected to radio that has no real substance. but we as a people are suppose to be only concerned with ‘where the next party is” and other kinds of detrimental nonsense

• April 6, 2009 at 9:03 pm

I spoke with a Department Head at Radio One and was informed that it was a decision by Tim Davies at WAMJ in Atlanta to remove these two programs. This spokesperson also stated that Radio One would like to come back to the Atlanta area but are not able to because of Tim Davies. Tim Davies telephone number is (404) 765-9750. This will take you to the business office and just ask for Tim Davies office. Also, you can listen to the Rev. Al Sharpton and Warren Ballentine on http://www.syndicationone.com or http://www.syndication1.com.

• April 5, 2009 at 1:30 am

White folks influenced Ms. Hughs into cutting the Warren ballentine and Al sharpton shows. It was “too much information getting out to black people”, and people were becoming more aware starting to make a difference. White news media never give any information on black situations occuring around the country. We learned this from listening to Warren or Al. This was bringing black people together. Cathy Hughes, YOU ARE WEAK.

• March 25, 2009 at 9:21 pm

To those who want to sign the online petition, go to http://www.petitiononline.com/truth241/pettition.html ….this is such a sad time for us. I heard Kathy kept Warren on the ensure more votes for presidency for Obama, but then the powers that be told her to silence him after we were “in office”. Doesn’t make sense to me either. Who knows what the truth is with Kathy and Radio One, we don’t have Warren and Rev. Al anymore to tell us!!

• March 23, 2009 at 3:06 pm

How can I help get the “Warren Ballentine” and “Al Sharpton” shows back on the air. I am going through some serious withdrawal symptoms here. Please hurry!

• March 21, 2009 at 5:16 pm

bro warren and rev. Al has kept my family inform before gina 6. My husband and children were a part of the march in atlanta. it is unfortunate that talk radio is not a part of the people who drive for a living amore day anymore guys you are truly miss please let us know as a community how we can help you guys get back on day time radio. the show was helping alot of people and you had a variety of listeners.

• March 20, 2009 at 7:00 pm

I miss the heck out of the Warren Ballentine show. I used to listen to the conservative stations had to say and then switch to Warren Ballentine to hear a more balanced perspective. I also don’t understand how the decision was made to replace Warren Ballentine with gospel. Kathy Hughes, owner of Radio One (102.5 in Atlanta) specializes in the Black consumer audience. We’ve got several stations in the Atlanta area that play gospel. We don’t have any that have progressive talk. We’re in Atlanta and we have tons of conservative talk shows and now no progressive ones. Where is the on-air petition? We need them back!

• March 19, 2009 at 3:22 am

Why is Kathy Hughes sitting on this until we all quiet down? I also would like to know how to get these brothers back on the air. Perhaps Bro. Warren and Rev. Al should consider another station because clearly Kathy/Radio One did not support them and we cannot trust Kathy to provide future support. Michael Baisden is trying, but he is held accountable to keeping it sexy, not real…and I really do not like his show. Steve Harvey is funny, but laughter and music all day keeps us dull and uninformed. I just want to understand Kathy’s thinking process on this one. I really miss these shows. I signed an on air petition to bring the show back…hope this helps.

• March 17, 2009 at 5:05 pm

I would like to know how we can undo this injustice. Who do we contact. I was shocked when I turned on the radio to tune it to both Rev. Sharpton and Warren and could not find them anywhere. I though, perhaps, they were on vacation – but both at the same time?? Just learned today what happened.

• March 17, 2009 at 3:36 pm

This is ridiculous! Atlanta does not need anymore radio stations that all play the same music. This is being done on purpose: As long as the shows are silly and irrelevant, it’s ok for us to listen. When it’s something that can uplift us a people it’s discarded. Wake up everbody!

• March 13, 2009 at 2:58 pm

Even though I didn’t particularly like either show, it is a shame that they were removed. What we need are a variety of black talk formats showcasing different perspectives of the black experience, not less. This is unfortunate.

• March 12, 2009 at 2:55 am

I just recently found out that Rev.Al Sharpton and Bro. Warren Balentine have been cancelled from talk radio here in Atlanta. This is unacceptable! I haven’t read all of the previous comments, but I did notice someone recall, as I did, when Jaqui Reed stopped bringing the news to BET. Whomever believes that the control of how our children recieve information via mass media is not a part of a war, is sadly mistaken. Whatever you may think of Rev. Al or Bro. Warren, they are generally on site when people of color are being treated unfairly and unjust, while most of us are in the comforts of our own homes being critical. We need the dialogue that is created by their talk shows. I’m encouraging whomever reads this to use facebook as a tool to get this message to as many people in Atlanta (or elsewhere) as you can and to anyone that has power and influence to right this situation.
    I mean, hell, its only our families lives that are at stake!

Yours,

Malik

P.S. My apologies. I neglected to proofread and used the word steak (food) as opposed to stake (how critical). This is why I have posted twice, but the intent is the same. Crucial. Thanks!

• March 11, 2009 at 10:30 pm

I just recently found out that Rev.Al Sharpton and Bro. Warren Balentine have been cancelled from talk radio here in Atlanta. This is unacceptable! I haven’t read all of the previous comments, but I did notice someone recall, as I did, when Jaqui Reed stopped bringing the news to BET. Whomever believes that the control of how our children recieve information via mass media is not a part of a war, is sadly mistaken. Whatever you may think of Rev. Al or Bro. Warren, they are generally on site when people of color are being treated unfairly and unjust, while most of us are in the comforts or our own homes being critical. We need the dialogue that is created by their talk shows. I’m encouraging whomever reads this to use facebook as a tool to get this message to as many people in Atlanta (or elsewhere) as you can and to anyone that has power and influence to right this situation.
    I mean, hell, its only our families lives that are at steak!

Yours,

Malik

• March 9, 2009 at 8:07 pm

I think that the transparent, state of this move, is insulting to
    all of us in the metro area, and for there to be not any statment
    other than one that we are aware of of as False, is to ad injury to the insult. I will not listen to any thing on your stations you have shown me your business sense, and your concern for the listeners
    in the area. I am finished with you.Sincerely I am

• March 9, 2009 at 7:59 pm

I am unclear as to what beat Kathey Hughts plays too, but it sure as hell is not BLACK FOLK.With the kind o f information Warren and the Rev were offering the struggle WOULD BE OVER soon, But nah! You want ghetto Juke Joint
    gospel, and songs that I have heard so many times , The ones I like I do not want to hear anymore.
    I am now listening to 90.1 NPR it is officially racist, and redneck
    but some information. WHO told Hughs, and the field negros we want to hear that JUNK on the Plantation while the cotton is being picked ? It did not any GOOD
    to free most of you Because your minds are TOTALLY BOUND

• March 9, 2009 at 7:59 pm

I am now listening to 90.1 NPR it is officially racist, and redneck
    to free most of you Because your minds are TOTALLY BOUND

• March 9, 2009 at 4:41 pm

Could it be that the reason that Warren and Al’s shows were dropped was because they kept us informed? Was it because Al kept it too real and Warren was starting a movement with his truthfighters? And then if nixing those 2 shows wasn’t enough, they take away 107.5 also!! Bad move Radion “Zero” because right now, that’s the grade you guys deserve.

• March 5, 2009 at 12:12 pm

I am truly disappointed that I am not able to listen to Al and Warren in Atlanta. One day I got in my car about 10:20am and there was gospel music on my radio. I like gospel too, but that’s not what I enjoy during the day. Al and Warren kept me in touch with what was going on in our communities across the country. We have too many music stations on the air. This is a great disappointment which led me to the intenet to find out what happened to two of my favorite radio host. I still listen to Steve. But from 8-2 I enjoyed listening to all three host and the topics they discussed.Comedy in the morning and serious talk during the day.Now after 10am I just turn the radio off.

• March 5, 2009 at 3:44 am

To retain Michael Baisden who is charmed by hearing his own voice on the radio and sidekick George “NewGrill” Burns, and Steve Bafoon Harvey who takes us all the way back to slave days with his pocketbook toting confused newphew in that ridiculous satire….it is a really sad day that these folks will be heard and not Warren and Rev. Al. Further, Michael Baisden has a 9 year old child on the radio advertising that after he finishes his homework, he listens to the Michael BAISden show borders on public neglect. This show is totally inappropriate for young listeners and at times, Michael has compelled children to call in. Another BET and Bob Johnson in drag.

• March 5, 2009 at 3:37 am

Cathy, I’m calling you out on this one! Come out with your hands up. I know you report to a “circle” and I heard the pressure was on you to silence this brother, but we are not with you on this, no sir!!!!!!! We need to know what is happening behind closed doors and what cockamamey policy procedures are being prepared. Cathy, DO Something! Do Something!

• March 3, 2009 at 6:31 pm

I believe the only solution is to boycott Radio One, there is still 104.1. I refuse to support even CoCo Brother and Praise since they are Radio One also. My routine was Tom Joyner in the morning,Warren and Al. Now I am forced to listen to 104.1 all day. I refuse to support a radio station that cuts the only intelligent programming and leaves Steve Harvey and Michael Baisden, of all people. FYI…The petition was not working.

• March 3, 2009 at 6:12 pm

This is insane!!! In this day and time, where there is a Black man in the leader of the free world and we here in Atlanta, are in the dark!! We again allow them to pull off the most informed shows on the radio in a Black metropolis, Atlanta!! Bring back Warren and Al or there will be a backlash to Radio One, Financially!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• March 3, 2009 at 4:33 pm

Come ON!!! Let’s get these shows back on!!!!

The Warren Ballentine Show and The Rev. Al Sharpton Show are the “only” shows with real substance… Let’s rally for them as they would us and get them back on the air in Atlanta!!!!
    Needed…. Badly

• February 25, 2009 at 3:07 pm

to the radio one general manager, this is entirely your doing. is there a real reason why you never polled the actual audience? anyone in radio in the last ten years knows the demographics of the black listening audience is NEVER NEVER polled. yet u accept their numbers KNOWING none of Warren’s and Sharpton listeners were included. WE WILL FIND A WAY TO DEFEAT YOU MR. DAVIES GENERAL MANAGER FOR RADIO ONE. BELIEVE IT

• February 19, 2009 at 6:32 pm

It is such a BIG disappointment to remove Al and Warren from Atlanta radio.There shows are so positive and uplifting.I will continue to support theses guys.I WILL STOP LISTENING TO ALL THE FOUR STATIONS.

• February 19, 2009 at 4:42 pm

I’ve been catching their shows on the web (thank God for the internet) but something in the milk ain’t clean on this one, folks.

I’m 46 yeard old and have never been contacted by Arbitron, Nielson or any of the other companies that do marketing surveys, who are they contacting for their numbers? I can do an unofficial consensus of my neighborhood and the listeners ARE there.

Sounds to me like someone wants to keep the Black community in the dark, the question is whom and why?

• February 18, 2009 at 5:07 am

I drive for a living and I like to stay informed from 10am to 3pm. If WSB were to pull their conservative talk shows all hell would break loose. To avoid the dumbing down of radio one listeners my radio will not be on any of their stations. I will catch Al and Warren on the internet whenever possible. 4 radio stations and the same old songs this is truly sad.

• February 17, 2009 at 8:42 pm

I so agree with the last comment, Atlanta is not what it appears, there exist a house -negro mentality that supercedes any possible committment to the elavation of intelligent, reflective analization of our plight. Our minds are saturated everyday with mundane bullshit, and no one cares enough to protest.the liberal whites did not utter a sound against the elimination of air america, and we will not raise a whimper for the whacking of Al Sharpton or warren Ballentine.

• February 16, 2009 at 5:03 pm

This doesn’t make any sense. I am so tired of hearing the same old tired songs over and over again. First they eliminated Smooth Jazz 107.5, now Sharpton and Ballentine. What does an intelligent person have to listen to? It is a shame.

• February 16, 2009 at 4:20 pm

Thank goodness for the internet. We need to stop listening to all 4 of these radio stations in Atlanta. You cant tell me conservative radio in Atlanta is more listened to. Those warped minds are still broadcasting. Same game, new made-up rules.

• February 16, 2009 at 3:35 pm

This was an ABSOLUTE ABOMINATION for them to “remove” Warren’s show. I have NOT heard if Rev’s show was cancelled too. I’m here in Atlanta, and you CANNOT tell me that Warren’s show and Rev’s show wasn’t sufficient enough for this metropolis. It sickens me to know that “there are still ‘groups’ of people who DON’T want African-Americans to have a NEWS voice.” Remember BET’s nightly news with Jackie Reid. Wow, this is BEYOND unbelievable. Keep on ‘Truth-fighting Warren, we’ve FOREVER support you here in ATLANTA. KNOW THAT!!!!

• February 13, 2009 at 9:56 pm

I will be listening to Watrren and Rev. Sharpton on line at Q92.7 WQNC-FM. At a time when we are in the process of strengthening ourselves,our families and the economy within our on communities, the shows that encourage us to do better and be better are cancelled. Coincidence? I think not! This is the way the power structure deals with people who threaten the status quo. While President Obama did not carry the state of Georgia, he did win Atlanta voters and a received lot of our money. This is in no small measure due to the posiitons of Warren and Rev. Sharpton. I do regret that those without access to computers will miss out on vital information. 102.5 will be silent on my radio.

Sandra